A dental sealant is a thin coat of plastic applied on the chewing surfaces of the back teeth. The sealant comes in liquid form and hardens after a short while. It is applied to bond with the grooves and small pits found on the surface of the back teeth (molars and premolars). With the pits and grooves sealed, the teeth will be easier to clean and bacteria will not accumulate. Applying dental sealants is a painless, fast, and simple process. Getting sealants will protect the teeth and save it from future dental problems.
Candidates for Dental Sealants
Children and teenagers are ideal candidates for getting sealants. Once the permanent molars set in, it is best to use sealants to prevent them from decay immediately. Dental sealants can benefit baby teeth too. Although they are not a permanent set, baby teeth are essential for teeth alignment. They must be protected to prevent them from falling out early. Adults who are not affected by decay can also avail of the said treatment for extra protection.
How long do dental sealants last?
Dental sealants are expected to last and protect the teeth from decay for up to 10 years. The sealants, however, should be checked for chipping and wearing out during dental check-ups so they can be replaced if necessary.
Steps in Applying Dental Sealants
Applying dental sealants is an easy process and it does not come with pain or discomfort.
- The first step involves cleaning of the teeth that are about to be sealed. Thorough cleaning of the teeth is necessary to make sure that are no food debris stuck in the nooks and crannies of the teeth.
- The teeth in need of sealing are then dried with the use of cotton or other absorbent material to absorb the moisture.
- A solution is applied on the teeth to make a rough surface—this helps the sealant bond to the teeth easier.
- The teeth will be rinsed and dried. Cotton is put around the teeth to make sure it will stay dry.
- After drying the teeth, the sealant is applied. It comes in liquid form that will harden after a few seconds. Once it dries, the sealant is in place.
Let us help you protect your teeth by availing of Sealants in Phoenix, AZ. Here at Thomas & Thomas Dental, our friendly and compassionate staff are ready to be in service. We are located at 7150 N 7th St, Phoenix, AZ 85020.