You just were told by your dentist that you have Periodontal Disease. Do not panic; you’re not alone! Periodontal Disease, also known as gum disease, is a serious gum infection that damages your soft tissue and destroys the bone that supports your teeth causing a possible tooth loss.
It sounds really serious and horrible doesn’t it? The best option at this point is to have a dentist evaluate your oral health and recommend necessary treatment which may include a deep cleaning to remove tartar, or calculus. Tartar is a very sticky plaque that contains bacteria and affects your teeth.
What Produces Periodontal Disease?
There are many factors that will increase the risk of having Periodontal Disease.Are easier to maintain and clean.
- Smoking – If you smoke a lot and you need a good reason to quit smoking, this is the perfect excuse. Smoking is the most significant factor that develops periodontal disease.
- Diabetes – People with Diabetes are at higher risk to develop any kind of infection, including periodontal disease.
- Medications – Medicine is a great way to keep you healthy and strong, but when you are under a lot of medications, pills tend to reduce the flow of saliva, which has a protective effect in your mouth. Without saliva, the mouth is completely vulnerable to infections such as Periodontal Disease.
Periodontal Disease can be prevented. Add these habits to your daily routine.
- Brush your teeth after every meal.
- Floss at least once a day to remove food particles from in between the teeth.
- Visit your dentist. This is not required everyday, but you should visit your dentist at least every six months. Schedule your appointment today at Thomas & Thomas Dental for your regular check up.
Talk to our Dentist From Thomas & Thomas Dental in Phoenix, AZ.
Do you want to know if you’re eligible for a dental implant? At Thomas & Thomas Dental we are ready to assist you. Call us at (602) 598-0338 or fill out the form to make your appointment today and let us start working on your smile with painless procedures.