Excellent dental health starts with proper oral care and hygiene practices at home. Although brushing and flossing are the primary actions for dental care, these are not enough to keep the mouth entirely healthy. At Thomas & Thomas Dental, we ensure our patients’ oral health is properly taken care of with the help of dental checkups.
Why are Dental Checkups Important?
Dental checkups are performed to check the status of the patient’s overall dental health. As recommended by dentists, patients should schedule a regular dental checkup every six months for optimum care and results. The procedure can help patients get the necessary treatments they need for diagnosis, prevention, and restorations. By performing it routinely, it can ensure the patient’s that their dental health is taken care of up to date.
What To Expect During Dental Checkups?
- For the first-time patient to undergo a dental checkup, the dentist or hygienist would need to know about the status of their overall health. It includes any taken medications, medical records, or any types of ailments. As for those who are not new to the practice, any new medications or health conditions should be informed for a better and safer treatment for each patient.
- Teeth Cleaning is performed by removing plaque or tartar buildups. It provides a thorough cleaning especially to the areas that are harder to reach with brushing, flossing, and mouth rinsing. It also gives the teeth a smoother and shinier finish after polishing.
- Once cleaning is performed, the dentist can easily check the patient’s mouth for problems. They would use a small angled mirror which can help them look at the areas that are not completely visible like the side or behind the teeth and gums. The mouth would be checked for any irregularities such as swelling or redness. Periodontal pockets, gum attachments, and spaces in between the teeth will be measured to monitor the mouth for even the slightest changes. Any changes can be linked to different types of dental complications such as oral cancer or gum disease.
- Dental X-rays can be performed to check the areas which are not visible to the naked eye even with the use of angled mirrors. It includes the inside of the tooth, under the gum line, and even the bones supporting the teeth. It is beneficial to know if any minor problems are starting to develop to help the dentist advice precautionary measures to be taken.
- The dentist will then discuss the results of the taken examinations and their findings. They can then provide advice or recommendations for proper care, hygiene, or dental treatments that the patient should undergo to avoid any complications.
Dental checkups are highly beneficial for patients, especially who undergoes the procedure regularly. It can help in taking the necessary or precautionary measures for better and healthier dental condition.
You deserve outstanding dental care services. We provide Complete Checkups in Phoenix, AZ. Book your appointment with us at Thomas & Thomas Dental, and let us help you achieve a beautiful and a healthy smile. Our dental office is located at 7150 N. 7th Street, Phoenix, AZ 85020.