Summer is officially over, and kids are now excited to go back to school. While parents may be planning to purchase a bag that can last for a year or uniform that can hopefully stay clean, they should also keep in mind their kid’s oral health. There were studies conducted where it was found that children with oral problems have lesser grade point average compared to those with healthier oral status. Those who experienced oral discomfort tend to miss out on school more.
Making sure that their oral health is in excellent condition can prevent problems such as tooth decay or cavities that can result in eating, sleeping, and speaking problems. Lower self-esteem, poor nutrition, and other health problems in children can also stem from a poor oral condition.
Here are the things that parents should remember when their kids go back to school:
- Kids can have access to any foods at school, and without their parent’s supervision, they can feast on sugary foods and beverages. It is best to send them to school with a carefully packed lunch. Healthy snacks should be included to prevent harmful substances from harming the teeth and other oral structures.
- Parents should let their children practice the 3-2-1 rule. Eat 3 healthy meals, brush the teeth for at least 2 minutes, and floss 1 a day. It helps guarantee that the overall health and wellness of children are adequately cared for.
- If the child loves to play sports at school, getting a custom-made mouthguard should be performed. Mouthguards help shield their teeth and mouth against injuries or trauma. With it, parents can support their children in whatever they love while making sure that they stay safe at all times.
- Undergoing preventive measures can ensure that the kid’s dental health is adequately preserved. Dental sealants, for instance, can help in setting up a barrier to the teeth that are in charge of chewing (molars and premolars). It helps in preventing the accumulation of harmful substances such as bacteria or plaque that can cause tooth decay and cavities.
- Schedule an appointment at Thomas & Thomas Dental for Pediatric Dentistry services. These services ensure that children’s teeth can stay healthy and strong for them to enjoy back to school season. Complete checkups, preventive treatments, or restorations are available to cater to the needs of children for the proper care and maintenance of their oral health.
Help children enjoy school more by making sure that they are far from any dental complications. Follow this checklist for their overall health and wellness!
Your children deserve outstanding dental care services. We provide Pediatric Dentistry services in Phoenix, AZ. Book your appointment with us at Thomas & Thomas Dental and let us help them achieve better overall health!